Monday, January 25, 2010

ring the alarm

once i thought i bought lime juice in israel. it turned out to be lemon juice with mint. um, yech.

once my roommate told me demerara sugar was brown sugar. demerara sugar turned out to be raw, coarse cane sugar. my oatmeal cookies did not taste like mom's.

once, two nights ago, i saw someone in a restaurant packing up food to-go. then she reached in and ate two of the person's french fries. then three more. then i was glad they weren't mine.

once i hated fish. it turns out i don't. especially when it's raw.

once i had a fish. a goldfish named buttercup. but then he died on my 10th birthday before i found out our house was burning down.

once, yesterday, i turned 25 and-a-half. and then i realized technically (though not in any way measurable behaviorally) i am getting kind of old. and then i decided i need to start figuring out what the hell i'm doing here and stop waiting for someone to come around and help me figure myself out. and then i went outside.

once, last night, i went outside. and it was pouring rain. and i had no umbrella. and i had no hoodie. and i was carrying things. and it was pouring. and i was drenched. and i laughed. and no less than seven minutes later, a taxi came to my rescue and saved me from walking the mile home. and the driver, of course, was about my age and had to be the hottest israeli taxi driver to ever exist. and of course he managed to look me in the eye and flash a sympathetic smile before breaking into hysterics as i opened the door and got in, covered in rain. and then i got home. and my roommate asked me if i had taken a shower with my clothes on. and then i looked in the mirror. and then i laughed. and then i touched my curls, watching in the mirror and realizing my 2- and 3-year-old toddler fro is still with me. and that my hair is just longer. diaper upgraded. and my shoes fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free Hit Counter